Tuesday, June 24th at 8p ET/ 5p PT
Join The Trevor Project, PFLAG, and WORLD Channel for an online screening and live chat of BROKEN HEART LAND, simulcast with the film’s national broadcast premiere on the documentary series, America ReFramed.
ABOUT 'BROKEN HEART LAND'
On October 5th, 2010, gay teen Zack Harrington killed himself in his parent’s Norman, Oklahoma home. Earlier in the week, Zack attended a city council meeting in support of a proposal to recognize LGBTQ History Month in Norman. When the floor opened up for public comments, it was clear that the citizens were bitterly divided over gay rights. BROKEN HEART LAND follows the Harrington family as they find themselves in a public and private battle over their son’s legacy, and the politics of being gay in the Bible Belt.
For television viewers, Jordan Scruggs, a past member of Trevor's Youth Advisory Council, and researcher and clinical expert in suicide risk for rural LGBT youth, Anthony D'Augelli of Penn State Univerversity will lead a discussion about growing up LGBTQ in rural America after the film. Click here to check local listings.
The online screeningwill include live interactive commentary, featuring:
- Jeremy and Randy Stulberg, brother/sister filmmakers of BROKEN HEART LAND
- Eric Juhola, producer of BROKEN HEART LAND
- Nancy and Nikki Harrington, Zack’s mother and sister
- Jordan Scruggs, LGBT youth advocate and former member of Trevor's Youth Advisory Council
- Anthony D’Augelli, Penn State Professor and clinical psychologist
- Athena Brewer of The Trevor Project
- Kay Holladay of PFLAG