Job Title: Government Affairs Intern
Job Location: Washington, DC
Supervisor: Government Affairs Director
The Trevor Project is the leading national organization providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning (LGBTQ) youth.
We are currently seeking a Government Affairs Intern to work in our Government Affairs Department. This position will assist Government Affairs staff in both state and federal work, including agency work, legislative work, research, and organizational outreach. Internships may take place during the Spring or Fall semesters or the summer. Candidates will be interviewed and selected on a rolling basis.
• Assist with advocacy efforts for federal and state level legislation.
• Monitor agency action and state-level legislation via tracking tools.
• Create and maintain resources for state partners and local activists.
• Develop, publish and monitor state and local action alerts and blogs.
• Conduct research to support federal and state policy projects.
• Other duties as assigned.
• A commitment of 10 weeks is required
• Currently enrolled in an undergraduate program
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Strong research skills
• General knowledge of the legislative process
• Experience with the Internet and Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Background or strong interest in LGBTQ issues, civil rights, youth issues, health issues, and/or suicide prevention
• Demonstrated experience with or commitment to work in diverse communities
Credit is available. Applicants not receiving credit agree to work for The Trevor Project on a volunteer basis.
Send cover letter, resume and writing sample to Alison.Gill@thetrevorproject.org. Please include “Government Affairs Intern” as the subject line of the email.
We regret that due to the volume of resumes received, we are unable to respond to all inquiries
No telephone calls or faxes, please.
The Trevor Project is an equal opportunity employer, with a strong commitment to a diverse, multicultural staff.