The Trevor Project is looking to hire a full-time Communications and Marketing Director into our NYC office.
The Communications and Marketing Director is primarily responsible for developing, implementing, leveraging and sustaining The Trevor Project's brand, communications and marketing strategies. As the brand steward, Director plans the overall marketing strategy; develops brand and messaging to promote The Trevor Project story, mission and vision. This position focuses on promoting and expanding the reach and impact of the Organization's public awareness and advocacy content as well as programmatic opportunities through integrated marketing and communications strategies. Incumbent will enforce organizational brand and communications quality control measures. In collaboration with the VP of Development, incumbent will ensure that development efforts, including corporate sponsorships, cohesively follow brand strategy.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Works closely with the Deputy Executive Director to create and implement the organization's marketing and communications strategies;
• Serve as the organization's primary brand steward, developing and upholding brand standards and messaging on an ongoing basis
• Develop and execute marketing and outreach initiatives including awareness campaigns, Public Service Announcement campaigns and organizational partnerships;
• Manage the efforts of any outside advertising or public relations agency and related third-party vendors;
• In collaboration with the Development team, work to ensure that all fundraising elements including major events and corporate partnerships adhere to brand, communications and marketing guidelines.
• Work with the development team to create and implement innovative brand activations for corporate partners
• Build and maintain strategic relationships with key media, serving as media contact and organizational spokesperson
• Prioritize communications and public relations needs, directing appropriate and timely response
• Interpret public issues and current events relevant to The Trevor Project's mission and communicate organization's position on issues to media and public
• Organizes media site visits and assists the press in developing stories
• Plans and directs the dissemination of information including the target audience, message, format and structure of communication
• Manage the high-profile public relations efforts related to TrevorLIVE, a twice annual red carpet fundraising event in New York and Los Angeles
• Develop, implement and manage marketing, communications/PR and brand performance measurements;
• Develop and promote collaborative relationships with likeminded organizations and co-manage joint projects;
• Prepare regular reports to Senior Staff, Board of Directors, board committees and external parties (e.g. corporate sponsors) as needed
• Create and administer the Marketing Department operating budget;
• Oversee all efforts related to website design/management, email marketing, social media, newsletter, press releases, annual reports, speeches and creative design/direction
• At times, acts as an on-the-record spokesperson for the organization
• Supervise the Webmaster/Web Developer, Digital Marketing Specialist; Publications Coordinator and Marketing Design Specialist;
• Act as staff liaison for the Board of Director's Marketing, Communications and Development Committee.
• Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
• Bachelor's degree required (graduate degree preferred) in Public Relations & Marketing or related field and/or minimum of three to five years marketing/PR experience
• Experience in a non-profit/mission driven organization strongly desired. Experience in a youth-serving organization preferred.
• Excellent oral and interpersonal communications skills and demonstrated level of comfort with public speaking
• A track record of developing and maintaining strong working relationships with and among a diverse group of constituents
• Experience in the creative process and ability to provide constructive feedback and direction
• Basic understanding of non-profit fundraising required
• Ability to build, motivate and work within a team to accomplish project goals
• Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
• Staff management experience is required
• Strong Internet/online marketing skills, with a strong understanding of social media
• Knowledge of communications best practices and an innovative outlook on how to best reach our core audiences.
• Ability to connect Trevor with leading news outlets and thought leaders, to encourage guest posts, opinion articles, and more.
• Demonstrated experience in editorial/journalistic copywriting.
• Ability to offer knowledgeable edits and recommendations for a wide variety of communications collateral.
• Understanding of blogs/newsletters/social media on a strategic level.
• Excellent "face-to-face' marketing/selling/media skills
• Self-starter who takes initiative and is able to work independently
• A demonstrated commitment to meeting a high-quality standards and a history of accomplishing goals even in the face of challenges or obstacles
• Experience managing multiple projects and ability to oversee and mentor a cadre of staff, consultants and volunteers
• High level of professionalism with good comprehension skills
• Friendly and outgoing personality, enthusiasm and dedication to teamwork
• High level of visual and graphic design acuity
• Computer literacy
• Demonstrated experience working in a multicultural environment where commitment to diversity based on race, ethnic origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, and physical ability is an important institutional value
• Strong commitment to The Trevor Project's mission
• Familiarity with the general messaging standards adhered to within the LGBTQ community and/or the mental health and suicide prevention sector is preferred but not required
Supervisory Responsibilities: Manages a team of 4 or 5
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience including full benefits -- health, dental, and vision insurance; annual leave, and 403(b) plan.
Send cover letter, resume and salary history or minimum salary requirement to human resources at email@example.com
Please include "Communications and Marketing Director" as the subject line of the email.
No telephone calls or faxes, please.
We regret that due to the volume of resumes received, we are unable to respond to all inquiries.