Youth Advisory Council (YAC)
Position: Youth Advisory Council (YAC) Member
- Shares new ideas on how best to reach and appeal to a wide audience of LGBTQ youth through our programs and services
- Represents the voice of youth we serve through input on Trevor initiatives, including TrevorSpace, our school workshop program and speaker’s bureau
- Serves to enhance a young leaders' involvement with promoting the acceptance of LGBTQ youth increasing young people’s awareness of the issues surrounding suicide, sexuality and gender identity
As a member of The Trevor YAC, s/he is responsible for:
- Communication: Maintaining contact with youth representatives in the YAC through mailings, phone calls, etc.
- Members are responsible for staying in contact with the Program Director and fellow Trevor YAC members.
- Members will give 24 hour notice if they will miss a meeting and immediate notice for YAC related events that they will be unable to attend.
- Members will assist in spreading the word to LGBTQ youth about upcoming Trevor events and programs.
- Collaboration: Working closely with fellow members of the YAC, Program Director and other Trevor staff to help promote acceptance of LGBT youth.
- Participation & Visibility: Being present at designated meetings and events and assisting with all facets of the program.
- Members will attend and actively participate in monthly Trevor YAC conference calls held and overseen by the Program Director.
- Members will help to plan and execute various Trevor programmatic activities
- Planning and implementing these activities may require meetings in addition to the regularly scheduled gatherings.
- Spokesperson: Willing to speak out and share their voice and experiences with schools, youth organizations and other people in their community.
- Providing feedback on our School Workshop Program
- Facilitating dialog on Trevor Space’s message boards and blogs
- Outreach to youth to produce content for TrevorSpace
- Serving on Trevor’s National Speaker’s Bureau and providing a youth perspective on the issues surrounding suicide, sexuality and gender identity.
- Serving as a communication link between The Trevor Project and the LGBTQ youth community
- Generating enthusiasm and involvement of LGBTQ youth and allies at Trevor youth events
Skills and Attributes:
- Between the ages of 16-24
- Reliable and dependable
- Committed to promoting acceptance of LGBT youth
- Knowledge of issues impacting LGBT youth
- 1 year term. Each candidate must reapply each year
- Complete 4 projects per year
- Submit monthly articles to TrevorSpace
- Quarterly conference calls (all regions)
- Annual face-to-face meeting sponsored by Trevor (all regions)
To apply for this volunteer position, please complete our online application form.