Are you an LGBTQ or allied young person age 16-24? Do you know someone who would be interested in volunteering to serve as an Ambassador? We are now accepting applications for the 2017/2018 term. Apply by May 15 to be considered.
The Youth Ambassador Council (YAC) is a group of ten young people, ages 16-24*, who serve as a liaison between youth nationwide and The Trevor Project. The young people selected for the YAC have demonstrated knowledge and/or leadership in the areas of suicide, LGBTQ equality, sexual orientation, and gender identity. The YAC provides feedback to The Trevor Project and works on Trevor-led campaigns in an effort to increase Trevor visibility and best serve the LGBTQ youth population, build on their current leadership skills, and gain experience with a national non-profit organization.
*Youth under 18 will need guardian permission and all youth will need to sign a consent to be photographed.
The mission of the Youth Ambassador Council (YAC) is to maximize The Trevor Project’s lifesaving work by integrating the perspectives of representative young people into services, programs, and messaging; spreading awareness as organizational spokespeople; and furthering outreach in new geographical areas as regional coordinators.
· Writing at least one guest entry on our national blog, TrevorNews
· Serving as a “guest editor” for at least one week on our Tumblr & SnapChat pages
· Engaging the TrevorSpace community through campaigns, forum posts, and other areas
· Providing input and recommendations on our programs, services, and messaging
· Opportunity after training to speak publicly during outreach events, to members of the media, and other outlets as an official youth representative
· Advocating for and spreading awareness about Trevor in your local community
YAC members serve 1-year terms and elect two co-leaders who work directly with The Trevor Project’s staff to guide the council. Every 2 months, there is a group video conference meeting for the YAC and Trevor to discuss ideas, feedback, and updates.