PWC CHARITABLE FOUNDATION COMMITS $6 MILLION TO THE TREVOR PROJECT
Heidi Klum, Jesse Williams, Samira Wiley, Jane Lynch, Debby Ryan, and More Show Their Support
Los Angeles — The Trevor Project, the world’s largest suicide prevention and crisis intervention organization for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and questioning (LGBTQ) young people, hosted its 2019 TrevorLIVE Los Angeles fundraising gala at The Beverly Hilton where it honored Cybill Shepherd, Hayley Kiyoko, and the PwC Charitable Foundation, Inc., which announced a $6 million investment in The Trevor Project’s mission. Zazie Beetz and Sasheer Zamata hosted the event, which helped raise over $1.2 million and included show-stopping performances by singer-songwriter Grace VanderWaal and the world’s top Beyoncé impersonator, Miss Shalae.
Additional attendees included Heidi Klum, Jesse Williams, Samira Wiley, Jane Lynch, Debby Ryan, Lance Bass, Jonathan Tucker, Madison Beer, drag personalities Raja & Nina West, Eugene Lee Yang, EJ Johnson, Gigi Gorgeous, Nats Getty, August Getty, Chris Daughtry, Terrell Carter, Alyson Stoner, Bruce Vilanch, Cassandra Cass, Charlie Barnett, Chester Lockhart, Daniel Franzese, Gregory Zarian, Ian Alexander, Jen Richards, John Flanagan, Lawrence Zarian, Mark Tennyson, Michael D. Cohen, Michael Turchin, Mikalah Gordon, Miss Shalae, Morgxn, Obiageliaku, On Mekahel, Parson James, Ryan Russell, and Sisterhood Band.
Highlights from the organization’s annual star-studded fundraiser included:
- Jane Lynch presented the Champion Award to Cybill Shepherd: “Cybill is being honored tonight because, for many decades, she has been a vocal advocate for LGBTQ rights and full equality… For years, Cybill Shepherd has been boldly, fearlessly and loudly making the case that everyone deserves acceptance, no matter who they love.”
- In an emotional acceptance speech, Champion Award honoree Cybill Shepherd tearfully thanked her late sister, who was unable to live openly as a lesbian. “No, my sister did not have the support that these young people will be getting from this wonderful, wonderful organization; and so, I want to thank everyone here tonight, because we all have in our lives people that we would have liked to have saved.” Shepherd continued, “My sister lived the life she wanted to live, but she didn’t live it openly. Gladys Terry Shepherd, I thank you from the bottom of my heart, for the honor of being here tonight.”
- “We’re thrilled to announce that the PwC Charitable Foundation is investing $6 million over the next four years… the largest grant ever received by The Trevor Project,” said Yolanda Seals-Coffield, President of the PwC Charitable Foundation, Inc. “PwC (the company) is thrilled to announce now that they will be providing nearly $2 million in pro-bono consulting services and our subject matter experiences in people, technology, and business transformation to complement the PwC Foundation’s investment,” added Shannon Schuyler, PwC’s Chief Purpose & Inclusion Officer.
- Hayley Kiyoko accepted the Youth Innovator Award, stating: “So many LGBTQ youth don’t have that same support in their own communities. It is our duty to share our strength to help guide the ones that get lost in the dark. I’m very proud to be standing here today, and I thank you all for continuing to inspire others by existing.”
- “There is still so much more to do. We recently put out research that there are more than 1.8 million LGBTQ young people in the US who seriously consider suicide each year,” said Amit Paley, CEO of The Trevor Project. “One day, we will reach every single one of those young people in crisis. But we’re not there yet. And we don’t have the luxury of growing slowly. We are literally talking about life and death. That is why we need to build a global movement to end suicide among LGBTQ young people NOW. “
- Eugene Lee Yang surprised seventeen-year-old high school senior Julia Lacher, who traveled all the way from Somerset, Wis., to share her story reaching out to The Trevor Project for support after watching a Try Guys video about Eugene volunteering at the organization.
The proud presenting sponsors of this year’s TrevorLIVE LA are the PwC Charitable Foundation, Inc. and Abercrombie & Fitch. In addition, Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants serves as the official hotel partner; and AT&T is the official VIP Reception Sponsor.